Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 7-8 lb Whole Chicken
- 4 large Potatoes cut into large pieces
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 oz white wine
- 6 large Cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 cups Stock or Water
- 1 medium onion sliced
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Place chicken in roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and rub into skin of bird. Season well with salt and pepper (you can add other spices and seasonings if you wish). Place garlic and onion in base of pan around the chicken.
- Once oven is hot place chicken in oven and roast for 10-15 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and cook for approximately 20 minutes per pound. Juices should run clear and a thermometer should read 165F when inserted behind the thigh.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare potatoes by peeling and cutting them and placing them in a pot with cold salted water to cover. Boil for 10 minutes or until tender then strain and set aside.
- With an hour left through the chicken cooking add the potatoes to the roasting pan with the chicken and toss in the juices. Return to oven until chicken is ready. When the chicken is ready remove it to a cutting board or platter large enough for it, turn oven back up to 425F and return the potatoes in the roasting pan to the oven for another 10 minute or so, add a bit of water if necessary so that the pan doesn't run completely dry and burn. Allow the chicken to rest in a warm spot loosely tented with foil while potatoes are cooking.
- Remove potatoes from the pan once they have crisped.
- Add wine to the hot roasting pan and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan, add stock or water and strain into small pot or serving vessel.
- Carve and plate the chicken. Only serve half of the chicken for this meal 1 large breast and 1 leg, reserving the other pieces for later meals.
- Serve with lots of your favorite seasonal vegetables.