Snowy River Farms Lasagna
- 2 lbs River Farms Sausage we prefer Hot Italian but Mild, Jerk or Donair work well here too
- 3 lbs tomatoes roma type work best, skins removed
- 1 sm can tomato paste
- 2 onions chopped
- 1/2 head garlic crushed
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 zucchini diced in quartered slices
- 1 head & stalk broccoli chopped fine
- 2 tbsp seasoning of choice we use a Hot Italian mix we've made – any Italian type will do
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp honey
Greens center ingredients
- 1 lb local greens of your choice we love a mix of arugula, kale, spinach and bok choy
- 100 gram Ran-Cher Acres soft goat cheese we like Herb&Garlic
- 1 free range egg
- 1/2 cup Ciro's Asiago Cheese grated
- 2.5-3 cups Speerville Flour really nice with Red Fife
- pinch of salt
- 4 free range eggs
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
Extra cheese for topping
- 2-3 cups grated sharp cheese we like Gouda from That Dutchman's
- Cook sausage meat and set aside.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent along with the carrot, add in peppers, zucchini and broccoli and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove half of the veg at this point and add in tomatoes and paste.
- Cook for 10 minutes, and then blend entire mix together.
- Add back in the remainder of the veg, salt and pepper to taste, seasoning and honey.
- Add in meat and cook for another 10 minutes then set aside.
- Steam greens and strain water off. Mix with remaining ingredients, set aside.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre, break the eggs into the well and add the oil. With a fork, lightly beat the eggs and oil, gradually mixing them with the flour. When the dough becomes too thick to work with the fork, continue with your fingertips and then your hands. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. The dough will become smooth and elastic. If the dough is sticky, dust it lightly with flour and continue kneading. Let stand for 30 – 60 minutes. Can be rolled out by hand with a rolling pin, best if you have a pasta press – pull through to the #3 thickness. Hang pasta to dry slightly (until no longer tacky).
Assembling Your Lasagna
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Get a 15'' x 10'' casserole dish ready by placing a few large spoonsful of sauce on the bottom.
- Slowly place a few pieces of lasagna noodles into the water and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove and make first layer in the dish.
- Top with a thick layer of sauce and continue cooking noodles to cover this layer.
- Next add the greens and cheese layer.
- Then more cooked noodles and sauce.
- Continue sauce and noodle layers until it has reached the top of the casserole dish.
- Make sure a thin sauce layer is on top and then sprinkle with a generous amount of That Dutchman's Gouda Cheese (a mix of Old Growler and Old Stinging Nettle is our go-to!)
- Bake at 350° for 45 – 60 minutes uncovered until the cheese is brown and bubbling.