Creamy Potato and Hamburger Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups Russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 celery ribs sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 8 oz brick of cream cheese
- 1+1/2 cups milk warmed
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef. Break it up*. Add in the onion, garlic powder and salt and let the onion get soft while the beef browns. Drain off any excess grease. Depending on how lean your ground beef is, there may not be any. Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- While the broth heats up in the pot prepare your potatoes, carrots and celery. Add them to the pot. Add in the basil and parsley.
- Cover and pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the soup button to 3 minutes (if you don’t have a soup button use the manual/pressure cook button). When the time is up let the pot sit there for an additional 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn the saute setting on. Stir in the cream cheese until it is melted. In a glass measuring cup warm up the milk in the microwave for a minute (or on the stove). This will prevent curdling. Stir the cornstarch into the milk until smooth. Stir the milk into the Instant Pot. This will thicken the soup a bit.
- Once soup is thickened salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!