The Porters from Belcher Holsteins Ltd. love making creamy Mac'N'Cheese for a comforting lunch or at the end of a long work day.
- 1 lb macaroni (450 g)
- 2 tbsp butter (30mL)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (30mL)
- 2 cups 18 % cream (500 mL)
- 1 cup Milk (250 mL)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (10 mL)
- 1+1/2 cups Canadian Cheddar shredded (375 mL)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (2 mL)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup Canadian White Cheddar shredded (125 mL)
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in cream and milk. Return to medium heat and stir until sauce boils and thickens about 5 min. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients and macaroni. Spoon into a buttered large oven proof casserole dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Cheddar cheese for topping in a small bowl. Sprinkle over top of macaroni. Brown under preheated broiler for 5 minutes or until golden.